Anaphylactic Shock Treatment in Washington, D.C.
If you or someone near you is currently in anaphylactic shock, call 911 immediately.
Allergies are usually not life-threatening events, but anaphylaxis affects one’s ability to breathe, making it one of the most common exceptions. If you or your child is prone to this extreme, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction, the allergy specialists at Premier Allergist can help provide the best treatment available: prevention.
If you need to develop a plan for anaphylaxis, don’t wait – schedule an appointment with us today.
FAQs on Anaphylaxis:
What is anaphylaxis?
Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction resulting in the swelling and closing of the throat, making it difficult and even impossible to breathe. Any severe allergy can cause anaphylactic shock, but peanut allergies, stinging insect allergies and venom allergies are known to be the most common culprits. If no preventative action is taken and treatment is not provided during the event, anaphylaxis can be fatal.
What are the signs of anaphylaxis?
Any parent or patient with an allergy must be aware of anaphylactic shock symptoms that may appear. Though the initial symptom is always the swelling of the throat and constriction of airways, this may be difficult to communicate if the patient is a child or choking. Here are a few other physical symptoms to look for:
- Pale skin
- Weak pulse
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Dizziness and fainting
How can I prevent anaphylaxis in my child or myself?
If anaphylaxis is a risk, your specialist will ask you, your child or your child’s school to carry an emergency epinephrine autoinjector or Epi-Pen with them at all times. If a severe allergic reaction occurs use the Epi-Pen and go to the hospital or nearest emergency room.Remember: Severe allergic reactions can be deadly. If someone is experiencing anaphylaxis or a severe allergic reaction, call 911 immediately.