Hives Skin Allergy Treatment in Virginia
Hives are an uncomfortable allergic reaction that may suggest a more serious underlying condition. Premier Allergist can help you find relief and peace of mind! Hives themselves are an unsightly and uncomfortable symptom, but they can also be a warning sign of something more severe that may require medical treatment.
The allergy specialists at Premier Allergist can help you find relief for your hives outbreak, determine the underlying cause, and develop a plan of action with you to avoid flare-ups in the future.
If you’re ready to find relief from hives, schedule an appointment.
What are hives?
Hives, known medically as urticaria, are red bumps or itchy patches of skin that appear suddenly. Hives can be triggered by an allergic reaction, or for other unknown reasons. There are a few different types of hives that can appear on your skin:
- Acute urticaria: Your hives last less than six weeks and are usually the result of an infection, insect bite or allergy to a food or medication.
- Physical urticaria: Your hives are caused by physical stimulation of your skin (from sweat, pressure, extreme temperatures or vibrations) and are often triggered during exercise.
- Chronic urticaria: Your hives appear frequently over the course of several months or years, and flare-ups last more than six weeks.
What causes chronic hives?
Chronic urticaria – or chronic hives – can sometimes be a sign of a more severe underlying medical condition, but they can also be a result of frequent exposure to an allergen. Some of the most common causes of chronic hives we see at Premier Allergist are:
- Exposure to an allergen, especially non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) and alcoholic drinks
- Immune system reactions to thyroid disease
- Immune system reactions to a hormone imbalance
- Immune reaction to cancer
How do you treat hives?
At Premier Allergist, our allergy specialists may prescribe antihistamines to treat recurrent hives and relieve symptoms. However, as always, avoidance may be the best treatment if hives are caused by food allergy or drug allergy.